Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Idea for debate forum

So we have a "serious news forum" but we don't have an open debate are for non current events.

The way I see it working best would be to test it as a sub board to the serous news. Then we restrict who can open threads, and instead have a thread where people post ideas for debates. A mod then takes the best ideas and opens them up for members to debate using a set of rules.

The rules would basically be to discourage people from taking the debate to personally. I would recommend members starting by declaring what side of the topic they support, then they should post their opinion about the topic and reference internet sources to support their view.

Everyone should be encouraged to express an opinion. but, The rules would clearly have to state that you cant attack another members opinion directly, only their sources and only if you provide sources that clearly contradict those posted.

The credibility of the arguments sources should be the focus of the debate and not the perceived intelligence of other members.

This would of course require a one or more mods to keep things on track and within the boundaries of the debate.

If anyone can think of another way to organize a constructive debate board please feel free to post those as well. I would just be excited to see a chance for members to take part in something that stimulates deep thought and consideration beyond "you are wrong, dili is buthurt blah blah blah"
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

I'll think this would be a great idea....but i can see alot of people getting mad and getting infractions....also if it did happen we should have less serious debates as in who would win Superman or Silver Surfer just an idea
    Last edited by norid; 07-30-2010 at 05:35 PM.

It seems like a good idea in theory, but I'm afraid in practice would be entirely different. Too many people here are keen to attacking individuals, debates would turn into arguments, and feelings would be hurt. The rules would be broken, and the reason behind the sub-forum would be lost. I can see where you're coming from with it, but I honestly don't think it'd ever work in practice.

I agree this would be awesome.

Right now? No.
    Later when we have more mods? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTD View Post
    If anyone can think of another way to organize a constructive debate board please feel free to post those as well. I would just be excited to see a chance for members to take part in something that stimulates deep thought and consideration beyond "you are wrong, dili is buthurt blah blah blah"
    First order of business: lol

Second:
    We'd need to ask people to not be provocative (incriminate other members for their views) or reactionary (lash out at other members for being provocative or disagreeing with them.) Those would be the most basic building blocks to the "rules" of the board that I would imagine; if we were to draw up a list of rules they would simply outline those larger issues.

Maybe a little pointer that keeping an open mind will help discussion and maybe even help you learn things you didn't know or widen/change your own perspective...

Good things could come from the board. Bad things could come from the board. As an optimist, I'm all for it We'd just need more mods to handle the potential drama that could grow out of the board... if that's something we even want to risk handling at all.

That's just my take on it, though
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

i think its a bad idea, theres already enough problems here why add a board that can and will make even more problems

I was on another board and there was a debate forum, it might as well have been called flamefest. but it worked fairly well

Quote Originally Posted by Subb View Post
    i think its a bad idea, theres already enough problems here why add a board that can and will make even more problems
    Agreed. With all the situations going on, the serious section is already a debate forum, its just nonofficial.

You're already allowed to debate in threads as long as everything is legit and not offensive. So it's not like anyone is disallowing it. However as pointed out, now isn't the best time for the forum to start organized arguments because things can get out of control.

It's a nice idea but I don't think it's the time and it seems it's the majority opinion right now.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

I would be able to dump my old animal vs. animal in there

JK haha

Hmm.. ok, well debates where always my favorite part of online forums. Not for arguments sake, but because of all the interesting things people came up with. Right now we miss a lot of creativity because the serious news board is mainly limited to current events.

But I guess if it doesn't have the enthusiasm behind it it wouldn't work to well.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Thread Information