Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

lol religion, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by CraeSC111 View Post
    Scientific beliefs are also proved wrong. Many well known theories are not proven by hard facts. And the first amendment does nor separate religion from politics, it makes it so that the government cannot suppression religion or force it onto others. There is nothing forbidding religion from affecting political thought. And religion is a perfectly good base for an argument against gay marriage because I am sure there are more Christians, Jews and members of other religions that speak out against same sex marriage than there are homosexuals (I could be wrong. I haven't been keeping up with my labor statistics.
    Really eff'd up that religion and gov't go very much hand in hand in this country. The screwed up part being that the gov't runs the people, meaning that the decisions they make should be based on and affect EVERYONE and not just those that are religious.... And doesn't the fact that there "are more Christians, Jews and members of other religions that speak out against same sex marriage than there are homosexuals"... actually make that *not* a good base for an argument? Seems quite the opposite and very unfair actually. And by the gov't not allowing same sex marriages *because* of religion, then that sort of is forcing religion on someone. Not the religion itself, but the effects of it.... It doesn't seem right that someone that may not even have a religion should be punished by those that do. I honestly can't wrap my head around that, never have been able to, and don't understand how anyone justifies that. It would be like taking a class where 60% of the students fail a test, a vote is held to see if the grades stick or if everyone (even those that passed) has to take another test again. Of course the end vote will be a retake meaning those that passed, yet are being forced through the actions of others to take it again, get screwed undeservingly.

Really, the bottom line has nothing to do with religion but unfortunately is a direct result of it. What the bottom line has to do with is basic human rights. There is no reason that if a man and woman can be married and have children, etc etc, that a man and man or woman and woman shouldn't be able to as well. And really, a lot of people use their religion as a cover because they are just homophobic, which is even sadder.

*in hippie stoner voice* Peace, love and equal rights man. Would really do the world some good. That's all I'm saying

I see nothing unfair about majority rule mizel. If you have 15 people in a group is it better to give 10 what they want at the expense of 5 or give 5 what they want at the expense of 10? Its designed to give as many people as possible what they want at the expense of not giving everyone what they want (cause life doesn't work that way)

Oh, don’t get me wrong. Majority rule isn’t *always* a bad thing. In hindsight, I think I used a really bad example to illustrate my point >_<

I think more or less what I meant was that more often then not it’s used inappropriately or with bias. Kind of like how the rich get a HUGE tax return, but middle-class working man gets none. Well, that’s because the people that vote on that decision happen to be rich. When basing the decision on gay marriage, or anything similar, the decision should be unbiased. It should not be based on the voters beliefs or personal feelings. Which, I know, easier said then done. But it’s the same concept as going to court and having a jury of your peers decide your verdict. There’s a reason that every juror is interviewed- to ensure a fair and unbiased decision. The government deciding that gay marriage should not be legal based on religion is like sending a Jew to trial with a Hitler-filled jury. If you’re biased towards anyone for any reason you should have no right being able to directly make decisions that affect them.

I would argue against your point that voters shouldn't show a bias since voters vote to support their bias. Its kind of like saying you shouldn't vote on something because it makes you happy as opposed to the alternative. If no bias was shown then everyone would agree to everything. And rich people get benefits because they pay politicians and the politicians take the money. If the politicians actually did their jobs or had some sense of honor then things would be different

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

"Majority rule" goes out the window when there's oppression involved. I guess we should have just kept slavery, too. That was popular. But no, there was a war fought over it, because it was wrong. @_@ So, yeah, majority rule can be unfair... Just ask the people actually being oppressed by it. Besides, it's not the majority everywhere - otherwise it wouldn't be getting legalized.

And I didn't say that there's no religious effect on people - I said there shouldn't be, and there isn't supposed to be. Just because there are a lot of religious people and they use their religion as a tool to speak out again homosexual marriage doesn't mean that it's right.
    Last edited by Muffincat; 02-16-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: fixed something

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Yeah just because something is the majority rule doesn't mean that it makes it right and shouldn't be fought to be overturned. Just because this country is filled with loads of ignorance doesn't mean that gay marriage should continue to be illegal

And gay marriage doesn't really offend anyone. It's not bad for the majority cuz it's not bad for anyone. If killing people was legal then it would be bad because you could get shot any time but who will suffer if two gay people marry? They are just *****in and they talk about being manly, well I say *****in about such things is not a manly thing to do.
    Feel free to check out my flash games site and my funny picture blog!

I am sure some people find gay marriage offensive. You'd be surprised what people find offensive. And just because legalizing gay marriage is right doesn't mean people want it and thanks to our wonderful political system we gotta give the people what they want (unless more lobbying for gay marriage gets a boost). That's why slavery in the south lasted so long. That's why gay marriage, abortion and weed legalization issues will continue to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by GamingWeston View Post
    And gay marriage doesn't really offend anyone. It's not bad for the majority cuz it's not bad for anyone. If killing people was legal then it would be bad because you could get shot any time but who will suffer if two gay people marry? They are just *****in and they talk about being manly, well I say *****in about such things is not a manly thing to do.
    It offends homophobes and ignorant people

Thread Information