Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

in theory, good idea (for an experiment, at least)
    in practice, bad idea (mostly because of ****ty society)

edit: also, sex ≠ gender, since some of the posts in this thread seem to have ignored that
    Last edited by leica; 05-25-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leica View Post
    edit: also, sex ≠ gender, since some of the posts in this thread seem to have ignored that
    then what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykub View Post
    This is pretty weird. I really don't think anyone or anything had an effect on what I do or what I like.

No matter what happened or who was in my life I still believe I'd be a normal male attracted to girls.

And that's where you're wrong. Almost everything in your life has an effect on what you do and what you like. But it's not obvious in which way.

Not to question your sexuality but I'm convinced that there are events in a young boys life which can lead him to homosexuality. No matter how much you like boobs now, things could've been different. (Since I don't believe that homosexuality is genetic or anything)
    Don't wanna target you here, just an overall example.

I think those parents approach is really interesting, I hope they're psychologists and are going to document this experiment.
    From my point of view this is actually not a bad idea. Every one of us got raised as either a boy or a girl, some unfortunate boys have been raised as girls and vice versa. So at some point we attain a certain bias, we see and judge things according to whatever we've been programmed to, and we do and think things that we're expected to.

However some minor or major events, or some complicated influences which we may or may not be aware of, change something and make us see some things differently. But if that is against what we've been told to think, we're ashamed for it, suppress it and that's how we get complexes and psychoses.

So if this method turns out to work, we might get the least judgmental and most tolerant person in the world. That kid will do and like whatever it decides to be fun at whichever stage of its life. And since that is directly connected to our endorphin flow, you can never be too young to decide what is fun for you. And you don't need help with that.

Ideally at a certain stage of its development, his genetic instincts will tell him to have sex with a girl or her to have sex with a guy. This is in no way connected to whether it's a guy who enjoy ballet or a girl who goes to the shooting range every week. Of course there are slim chances that the kid turns out to be homosexual, but those aren't greater than with any of us.

"Those creatures are like Butterflies. Except that they don't fly, and they're really ugly. And they have a lettuce stuck right in their throats. Actually, they're nothing like Butterflies. But they make cocoons... like Butterflies."

Quote Originally Posted by EpsilonX View Post
    then what's the difference?
    Sex - Male or female. You got a box or some dangly bits hanging around.

Gender - Masculine of feminine. Man or a woman. (This is hard to explain.) If you are more masculine, you are strong, you are a man. If you are more sensitive, you are more emotional, and more effeminate, you would be a woman.

(I'm not being sexist, this is the only way I really know how to explain.. =/ )

So you could be a male, but you would also be a woman. Or a female man. (I know it sounds weird) but it's all dependent on your hormone balance.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFLBRYCE View Post
    Sex - Male or female. You got a box or some dangly bits hanging around.

Gender - Masculine of feminine. Man or a woman. (This is hard to explain.) If you are more masculine, you are strong, you are a man. If you are more sensitive, you are more emotional, and more effeminate, you would be a woman.

(I'm not being sexist, this is the only way I really know how to explain.. =/ )

So you could be a male, but you would also be a woman. Or a female man. (I know it sounds weird) but it's all dependent on your hormone balance.
    (in this instance, i will use the word 'trout' as sort of a placeholder since I do not know what the actual term is. Hopefully you understand what it means)

so sex is your biological/physical trout, while gender is more of your trout identity. so transvestites and stuff are born as a man (their sex) but consider themselves female (gender) is that how it works?
    Last edited by EpsilonX; 05-25-2011 at 12:40 PM.

(in this instance, i will use the word 'trout' as sort of a placeholder since I do not know what the actual term is. Hopefully you understand what it means)

so sex is your biological/physical trout, while gender is more of your trout identity. so transvestites and stuff are born as a man (their sex) but consider themselves female (gender) is that how it works?
    Trout works good xD It's weird to explain but I think your on the right page. A transvestite born with both trouts would be neither male nor female in sex. They would be both. In gender, they'd have to choose to be a man or a woman, masculinity v.s feminism.

If a person born as a male, decided he would prefer to wear dresses, makeup, gossip, watch weight, etc (stereotypical girl things, I in no means believe in all of these, ladies!) he would be male, yet his sexual identity would have him as a female.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFLBRYCE View Post
    Trout works good xD It's weird to explain but I think your on the right page. A transvestite born with both trouts would be neither male nor female in sex. They would be both. In gender, they'd have to choose to be a man or a woman, masculinity v.s feminism.

If a person born as a male, decided he would prefer to wear dresses, makeup, gossip, watch weight, etc (stereotypical girl things, I in no means believe in all of these, ladies!) he would be male, yet his sexual identity would have him as a female.
    actually...i was using trout to say sexual/gender identity without having to differentiate between the two. :P

/double facepalm

You got problems guuuuys.

"Those creatures are like Butterflies. Except that they don't fly, and they're really ugly. And they have a lettuce stuck right in their throats. Actually, they're nothing like Butterflies. But they make cocoons... like Butterflies."

actually...i was using trout to say sexual/gender identity without having to differentiate between the two. :P
    Oh gotcha. Thought you were using trout as...well never mind that we understand each other now.

i read about this in the paper, the couple have another child, a son......who i first mistook for a daughter. You can see the problems this will cause.

Thread Information